Saturday, April 3, 2010

I wasn't blown away by M-80...

I’ve been a fan of Monster “energy drinks” for several years now, but up until yesterday, I’d never tried Monster M-80 Energy Juice.
Monster M-80 is easy to spot on store shelves. While regular Monster comes in a black can with the signature green “M” that looks like it was scratched into the side of the can by some three-clawed creature, Monster M-80 comes in a black can with a yellow, clawed “M.”
When I read M-80, I think of fireworks (and in most states M-80s, which are basically small sticks of dynamite, are illegal to sell or possess), but in this case M-80 indicates that this drink is composed of 80 percent fruit juice.
The drink also claims to contain L-Carnitine, Taurine, Ginseng and B-Vitamins. L-Carnitine is used by the body’s cells for the generation of metabolic energy, and it’s often sold as a nutritional supplement. Taurine is an organic acid that’s regularly used in energy drinks. Ginseng claims to boost memory, and we should all be familiar with B-vitamins.
Interestingly, this can did come with a warning, something you don’t see usually on drinks except when they contain alcohol. The warning read: Consume responsibly. Limit two cans per day. Not recommended for children, pregnant women or people sensitive to caffeine.
The can that I drank contained 24 fluid ounces and contained 270 calories. In other words, you’d have to drink two of them to get the same number of calories that’s in the average Big Mac.
In the end, I probably won’t try one of these again. It didn’t taste bad, but it was a little too fruity for my taste. The regular Monster drink is much better, but on a scale of 1 to 10, I’d give Monster M-80 a 5.0, which is average.

No comments:

Post a Comment