Friday, July 16, 2010

Alyssa Milano isn't in 'The Lost Boys'

I scratched another Saturn Award winner for Best Horror Film off my list yesterday, and this time it was the 1987 winner, “The Lost Boys.”
For me, this movie is one of my all-time favorites. I’ve seen the edited-for-TV version dozens of times, and if I’m flipping through the channels and find it on, I usually watch it all the way to the end. (Other movies that I do that with include “Jaws,” “Blade Runner,” “O, Brother. Where Art Thou?” and “Dumb and Dumber.”)
For those of you who’ve never seen “The Lost Boys,” it’s about two teenage brothers who move to Santa Carla, Calif. from Arizona. As they try to fit in to their new town, they soon realize that something’s not right. One thing leads to another, and they eventually find themselves up against a gang of teenage vampires.
This movie was released in July 1987 and features a number of well-known actors, including Corey Feldman, Corey Haim, Jason Patric and Kiefer Sutherland. “The Lost Boys” was actually the first film that Haim and Feldman appeared in together and marked the start of a number of movies that featured “The Two Coreys.”
And, no, Alyssa Milano doesn’t play “Star” in “The Lost Boys.” That’s actually Jami Gertz, who would go on to star in “Twister” and appear in scores of sitcoms.
And, yes, that is Bill from “Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure” in the role of young vampire, Marko. His real name is Alex Winter.
In the end, I enjoyed watching the theatrical release of this movie, which included a number of scenes that aren’t in the edited-for-TV version.
From here, it’s on to 1988 winner, “Beetlejuice,” which starred Geena Davis, Michael Keaton, Alec Baldwin and Winona Ryder.

No comments:

Post a Comment