Saturday, August 14, 2010

I don't blame Logan. I would have run too!

Earlier today, I finished reading the classic science fiction novel, “Logan’s Run” by William F. Nolan and George Clayton Johnson.

I’ve wanted to read this novel ever since my brother-in-law, Kenny, told me about Logan’s Run-themed birthday parties that he and my sister attended while living in Seattle. At these parties, which were in celebration of the guest of honor’s 30th birthday, those in attendance would watch the 1976 movie based on the 1967 novel.

For those of you who have never read the book or seen the movie, “Logan’s Run” is set in the year 2116, a year in which the world’s population is kept in check by the government, which requires the death of everyone that reaches a particular age. In the book, citizens aren’t allowed to live beyond the age of 21. In the movie, citizens aren’t allowed to live beyond the age of 30.

Both the novel and the movie, which I haven’t seen (yet), follow the story of Logan 3, a Deep Sleep Operative. These operatives, also known as Sandmen, are armed government killers who enforce the societal age limit by tracking down and killing citizens who don’t allow themselves to be willingly executed on their 21st birthdays. Logan ends up being one of these “runners,” and the story follows his exploits as he and a female companion make their way to a nigh-mythical place of escape called Sanctuary.

I’ve always enjoyed novels of this type, that is, that betray a dystopian future. I guess it’s a childhood thing, but when I read or watch something like this, I can’t help but wonder what my hometown is like in the world of the book or movie.

If you’ve never read “Logan’s Run” and enjoy science fiction, then I recommend that you check it out when you get a chance. In the end, let me know if any of you have ever had a chance to read this book? Did you like it? If so, what did you like about it? Let us know in the comments section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment