Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Publishers Weekly's 'All-Time Bestselling Children's Books' list

(This post was originally meant for yesterday, but unforseen events have caused me to post it late.)

I love reading to my kids and the other day I ran across another interesting list of childrens books – Publishers Weekly’s list of “All-Time Bestselling Children’s Books.”

The list is a ranking of hardcover children’s books that have sold at least 750,000 copies. The figures used were also based only on sales in the US and only includes books published before the close of 2000.

The list originally ran in the Dec. 17, 2001 edition of Publishers Weekly and was composed of 355 books. For the sake of brevity, I give you tonight the first 35 books on the list.

Without further ado, here they are:

1. The Poky Little Puppy by Janette Sebring Lowrey
2. The Tale of Peter Rabbit by Beatrix Potter
3. Tootle by Gertrude Crampton
4. Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss
5. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling

6. Pat the Bunny by Golden Books
7. The Saggy Baggy Elephant by Kathryn Jackson
8. Scuffy the Tugboat by Gertrude Crampton
9. The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
10. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling

11. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling
12. Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein
13. One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by Dr. Seuss
14. The Giving Tree
15. The Littlest Angel by Charles Tazewell

16. Hop on Pop
17. Oh, the Places You’ll Go by Dr. Seuss
18. Dr. Seuss’s ABC by Dr. Seuss
19. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone by J.K. Rowling
20. The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle

21. The Golden Children’s Bible by Golden Books
22. A Light in the Attic by Shel Silverstein
23. The Tale of Benjamin Bunny by Beatrix Potter
24. Are You My Mother? By P.D. Eastman
25. The Rainbow Fish by Marcus Pfister

26. The Cat in the Hat Comes Back by Dr. Seuss
27. Richard Scarry’s Best Word Book Ever by Richard Scarry
28. Disney’s the Lion King by Justine Korman
29. The Tale of Jemima Puddle-Duck by Beatrix Potter
30. The Little Engine That Could by Watty Piper

31. Fox in Socks
32. Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
33. The Real Mother Goose
34. Go, Dog, Go
35. How the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. Seuss

Do you recognize any of your favorites from your childhood? Which of these books have you read to your kids? What do you think about them? Which do you recommend? Let us know in the comments section below.

2 comments:

  1. Reading down that list is like walking down the memory lane of my childhood! Except for the Harry Potter books, which I read as an adult.... although, they made me feel like a kid again. I'm like a heroin addict, except with books, and I pray that my children will inherit my love for reading. We have read several of the books on that list, but I would have to say the common denominator favorite through all four, has been Goodnight Moon. Which I can recite to you on command! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've got a lot of these at the house and they are in surprisingly good shape despite the mileage they have on them. I've never read any of the Harry Potter books, but I hope to tackle those one day.

    ReplyDelete