Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Kendall's B-B-Q in Georgiana is mighty fine

As my wife and many of my friends can attest, I love barbecue, and I’m always on the look out for good barbecue restaurants, especially those that I’ve never tried before.

Yesterday, I found a barbecue “restaurant” that I will definitely return to – Kendall’s B-B-Q in Georgiana. For those of you who’ve never had the pleasure of eating at Kendall’s, it’s located next door to the BP convenience store at the intersection of State Highway 106 and Interstate 65. For those of you traveling on I-65, that’s Exit 106, i.e., the Georgiana-Starlington exit.

Many of you have probably heard of Georgiana. Located in Butler County, it’s best known as the hometown of country music legend Hank Williams. It’s a small town between Montgomery and Mobile with a population of less than 2,000 residents.

Kendall’s B-B-Q is housed in a little shed and there is no indoor seating. You just walk up to the window, tell the girl what you want and wait. There are a few benches around, but mostly you just stand and watch the cars get on and off the intestate.

The shed does have a character all its own. It’s decorated with a number of color photos of men deep sea fishing in the Gulf, all holding up huge fish that make you want to drive a few more hours south and charter a boat. Most of the photos prominently feature the same guy. I’m guessing this is Kendall, the proprietor of the barbecue stand.

Kendall’s offers a full menu of barbecue items as well as a wide variety of hamburgers. The menu is displayed beside the cashier window, so all you have to do is make up your mind and tell the girl what you’d like.

I ordered the large barbecue pork sandwich and a large (32 ounce) sweet tea, and I wasn’t disappointed. The sandwich was awesome. Between two nice, big hamburger buns, the sandwich included big smoked cubes of pork as well as pulled pork. The meat was also covered in a rich barbecue sauce that was quite tasty.

I don’t know if it was the best barbecue sandwich I ever had, but it’s high in the running. The restaurant’s motto is “Howling Good Taste,” and you’ll get no argument from me about the taste and flavor of their outstanding barbecue.

The sweet tea was also really good. It tasted fresh, and it wasn’t so sweet that it left you with that syrupy taste in your mouth. Also, refills are free.

In the end, I really enjoyed my experience at Kendall’s, and I’ll definitely try it again if I’m ever in the area. Have any of you had a chance to try Kendall’s? If so, what did you think? Let us know in the comments section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment