Monday, February 14, 2011

Do you think 'Inception' will win the Academy Award for Best Picture?

I finally watched the movie “Inception” the other night, and I have to say that this is one of the best movies of 2010 that I’ve seen.

To say that I enjoyed the movie would be putting it mildly. I’d call it a healthy mix of “The Matrix,” “Johnny Mnemonic” and Philip K. Dick with a dash of Stanley Kubrick thrown in.

For those of you who have not had the pleasure of watching this science fiction film, it’s about a unique corporate spy who can enter the dreams of his targets and, unbeknownst to his victim, he can extract valuable information as well as their innermost secrets. Much of this movie centers on a high-powered Japanese businessman who hires a dream thief to pull off an “inception,” that is, to plant a destructive idea into the mind of one of his business rivals.

This movie, which was written and directed by Christopher Nolan, was released in theatres on July 16, 2010. Leonardo DiCaprio played the lead role of dream thief Dom Cobb, and Michael Caine plays Cobb’s father-in-law, Dr. Stephen Miles. Other cast members included Ken Watanabe, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Marion Cotillard, Ellen Page, Cillian Murphy, Tom Hardy, Dileep Rao and Tom Berenger.

“Inception” has been wildly successful. After being nine years of development prior to its release, the movie was shot under a budget of $160 million. On its opening day, the movie grossed $21 million and grossed nearly $63 million in its opening weekend. To date, gross DVD sales have topped $68 million.

Fans of “Inception” will also have a lot to look forward during the upcoming Academy Awards, which will be held on Feb. 27 and aired on ABC. “Inception” has been nominated for eight Academy Awards, including Best Picture, Best Art Directing, Best Cinematography, Best Original Score, Best Sound Editing, Best Sound Mixing, Best Visual Effects and Best Writing-Original Screenplay.

This movie was great, and I suspect that it won’t be long before it’ll be considered a sci-fi classic. However, if I had to say that there was one thing I didn’t like about it, it would be that the movie is too long. The film’s run-time was 142 minutes, and there towards the end, I caught myself glancing at my watch and wondering just how much more of the movie was left.

In the end, I loved this movie, and I suspect that it will do well at this year’s Academy Awards. In my book, it gets an A+.

How many of you have seen this movie? What did you think about it? What did you like or dislike about it? Let us know in the comments section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment