Thursday, August 11, 2011

You asked the questions, and the Magic Eight Ball has your answers...

It’s the second Thursday of the month, so what better time to whip out my Magic Eight Ball and ask it a few “yes or no” questions.

This month’s set of questions came to me via e-mail and Facebook. Below you’ll find the unedited questions and answers to the questions that I asked my Magic Eight Ball on Monday.

Gilbert asked: Were the woodchucks in the Geico commercial real, and, if the answer is “yes,” then can you and I go watch them?

Answer: No Way!

Connie asked: Is Conecuh County every going to reap the benefits of having so many exits on the Interstate?

Answer: Yes.

Michael asked: Is Conecuh Sausage better than Monroe Sausage?

Answer: Definitely.

Josh asked: Will my wife cry more than my daughter on the first day of school?

Answer: Absolutely!

Courtney asked: Are all of us (parents) going to end up having to go to the school before the end of the first day?

Answer: Yes.

Laniebell asked: Is Alabama going to play in the SEC championship game this year?

Answer: No way!

Gloria asked: Will Highway 84 ever be four lanes all the way through Alabama?

Answer: Ask again later.

If you’ve got a question you want me to ask my Magic Eight Ball, e-mail it to me at courantsports@earthlink.net, and I’ll publish the answers in next week’s paper.

----- 0 -----


Anyone who has read this column for any length of time knows that I enjoy a good ghost story, and I heard a good one the other day, courtesy of CBS 42 in Birmingham.
CBS 42 reporter Chris Womack did a story on a Huntsville playground where some people “claim ghosts come out for a little playtime.”

According to the story, this supposedly haunted playground sits on a lot next door to Maple Hill Cemetery, which is the oldest and largest cemetery in Huntsville. More than a few people believe that “after the sun goes down, interesting things happen” in this playground nicknamed “Dead Children’s Playground.”

“We walked down here and we get on the swing, and out of nowhere, you hear someone scream,” Rashad Deyampert told Womack in an interview for the story. “When I say I ran like the fastest ever in my whole life, it was terrifying.”

Womack did a little research and found that people claim that swings at the playground sometimes move by themselves and that you can sometimes hear children’s voices when there are no children around.

More than a few people have tried to explain these events, some claiming that the activity stems from a series of child abductions in the 1960s in which “many of the kidnapped children’s bodies were found on the playground,” Womack reported.

“I heard some kids fell off a slide, or someone died, a couple kids died in here, and they never leave,” Deyampert told Womack. “At night they'll come out, or whatever.”

In the end, if you know of a good ghost story from right here in Conecuh County, tell me about it by calling 578-1492 or by writing The Evergreen Courant, ATTN: Lee Peacock, P.O. Box 440, Evergreen, AL 36401 or by e-mailing me at courantsports@earthlink.net.

No comments:

Post a Comment