Thursday, November 24, 2011

The question for Black Friday is 'What do YOU want for Christmas?"

They say that tomorrow – the day after Thanksgiving – is the busiest shopping day of the year, and it brings to mind a question that more than a few of us will hear in the coming weeks: What do you want for Christmas?

That's a question that we all hear each year, and when I'm faced with that question, I never seem to have a good answer. I guess it's because I'm lucky enough to have the few things that I really need. I always end up telling the questioner that if they have to get me something, then for them to get me a book.

That may sound dull, and it probably is, but I'm always caught off guard by the question. If I could wave a magic wand and create the perfect Christmas gift, here are a few of the things that you'd see on my Christmas wish list:

· A prescription windshield.

· An endless cash-dispensing machine.

· A self-loading and unloading dishwasher. It would basically be a machine that would suck the dirty dishes off the dinner table, wash them and then magically put them back in the cabinet.

· A self-replica robot that would get all of my work done, allowing me to hang out at home, read and play Xbox.

· The Millennium Falcon. I'd give it a new paint job and redecorate with more comfortable furniture.

· More aluminum foil. I love that stuff. It's metal, but it's like paper.

· A device that could restore the human body to perfect health and reverse aging. I'd be richer than the Bill Gates, King Saud and the Pope combined.

· Only having one thing in my pocket would be nice. I'd be very interested in having a combination pen-pencil-car keys-wallet-cigarette lighter-pocket knife.

· A nuclear reactor the size of a AAA battery that gives off as much voltage and amperage and lasts for centuries. I hate charging and buying batteries.

----- 0 -----


All jokes aside, we would all do well to be a little more careful on the highways during the holidays. Many of us will take to the roads to go see family and friends for Thanksgiving and this increase in traffic only increases the chance of a serious accident. If you’ve got to get out on the road, take your time, don’t speed, look out for the other fellow and don’t drink and drive.

----- 0 -----


Also during the past week, the National Book Foundation announced the winners of this year’s slate of National Book Award winners. The awards were announced Wednesday of last week and were presented in six categories.

“Salvage the Bones” by University of South Alabama creative writing professor Jesmyn Ward won in the Fiction category, and “The Swerve: How the World Became Modern” by Stephen Greenblatt won in the Nonfiction category.

“Inside Out & Back Again” by Thanhha Lai won in the Young People’s Literature category, and “Head Off & Split” by Nikky Finney won the Poetry category.

With that said, if you’re in the market for a good book, or needing to buy a book-lover a good book for Christmas, you probably won’t go wrong in picking any of the books mentioned above.

No comments:

Post a Comment