Monday, March 31, 2014

BUCKET LIST UPDATE No. 138: Eat peach ice cream at the Durbin Farms Market in Clanton

Peach ice cream at Durbin Farms Market.
Several years ago, the Alabama Tourism Department produced a great “best of” list called “100 Dishes to Eat in Alabama Before You Die.” This list of outstanding dishes to eat in outstanding restaurants across the state, including an item that immediately caught my eye and immediately went on my bucket list – peach ice cream at Durbin Farms Market in Clanton. I’m happy to say that I officially scratched this item off my bucket list Wednesday of last week.

Clanton, which is located off Interstate Highway 65 between Montgomery and Birmingham, is known for its annual peach crop. In fact, the city’s water tower is shaped like a giant peach, and they’ve been holding a peach festival each year in Clanton since 1952. Durbin Farms Market is one of the premiere sellers of Chilton County peaches and is known far and wide for its famous peach ice cream.

On Wednesday of last week, I found myself headed up I-65 with my family on the way to visit my sister in Athens. We approached Clanton around bathroom break time, and that’s when I heard peach ice cream opportunity knocking. A few minutes later, we took Exit 205, crossed back over the interstate and pulled into Durbin Farms Market, which is located at 2130 7th Street South in Clanton, right off the interstate.

Once out of the car, we made a beeline for the ice cream counter, which featured peach ice cream and a number of other flavors. Our server was a good-natured young man named Dustin, who fixed us up with four ice creams. My wife and I got cup-sized servings of peach ice cream while the kids got cone servings of other flavors. Grand total was $10.25.

Durbin Farms Market includes a large area for patrons to sit and enjoy their purchases, so we grabbed a table. I took my time and ate my peach ice cream slowly with a black plastic spoon, trying to savor each and every bite. To say that it was the best serving of ice cream I’ve ever eaten in my entire life wouldn’t be an understatement, and I’m nearly 40 years old and have eaten my fair share of ice cream.

My wife didn’t complain either. She seemed to relish her peach ice cream, and said that she could see why it made the Alabama’s Tourism Department’s “best of” list. The kids didn’t complain about their other varieties either.

If you’re interested in learning more about Durbin Farms Market, visit their Web site at www.durbinfarms.com. In addition to peach ice cream, they also sell bread, butter, cider, honey, jam, jelly, whole peaches and dozens of other items. Better yet, if you find yourself traveling on I-65 between Montgomery and Birmingham, take the time to stop and sample some of their outstanding peach ice cream. You won’t be disappointed.


In the end, how many of you have ever eaten peach ice cream from Durbin Farms Market in Clanton? What did you think about it? Did you like it or not? Let us know in the comments section below. 

No comments:

Post a Comment