Monday, August 25, 2014

BUCKET LIST UPDATE No. 170: Watch “Jesus Christ Superstar” (1973)

“Jesus Christ Superstar” is a movie based on a 1970 Andrew Lloyd Weber rock opera that’s about the week leading up to the crucifixion of Jesus. The movie was directed by Norman Jewison and was released in theaters on Aug. 15, 1973. The cast included Ted Neely as Jesus, Carl Anderson as Judas Iscariot, Yvonne Elliman as Mary Magdalene, Barry Dennen as Pontius Pilate and Josh Mostel as King Herod.

“Jesus Christ Superstar” is a movie I’ve heard about for years, and every once in a while I’d hear references to it in other movies and television shows. In almost 40 years on this earth, I’d never seen this movie, not even part of it. As far as I can remember, I’ve never seen it re-run on television. All of which is why I added it to my “bucket list” a couple of years ago.

Thanks to NetFlix, I finally scratched this movie off my list Wednesday of last week when I watched the entire film from start to finish. I’ve got mixed feelings about the movie, and I can’t say that it’s one of my all-time favorites. However, I can see why it has a popular appeal.

First off, this movie’s a musical, and I’ve never been a huge fan of musicals. The idea of people singing dialogue is so unrealistic to me that it’s hard to watch. If this movie wasn’t so famous and if I didn’t have it on my bucket list, I probably wouldn’t have watched the whole thing.

Also, the movie feels somewhat sacrilegious. It starts with what looks like a bunch of hippies piling out of a tour bus. They’re all singing and dancing and before you know it one of them’s dressed like Jesus and they’re re-enacting his last days out in the middle of the desert.

There are also a number of modern elements in the movie, including Army tanks and soldiers in fatigues and combat boots. I realize these were used for artistic reasons and to show how much things really haven’t changed, but it just didn’t suit my tastes. I’m sure fans of the movie probably disagree.

I’m not trying to say that I didn’t totally enjoy watching the movie. It just didn’t suit my Southern Baptist tastes. If you’ve never seen this movie, it’s worth watching, but I probably won’t be watching it again.

As mentioned before, this movie was based on an Andrew Lloyd Weber musical, and now that I’ve seen the movie, I would kind of like to watch the live musical. This may be hard to pull off because it isn’t widely produced. The show first debuted on Broadway on Oct. 12, 1971 and closed on June 30, 1973 after over 700 performances. It’s been redone a number of times since then.

In the end, how many of you have seen “Jesus Christ Superstar”? What did you think about it? Did you like it or not? Let us know in the comments section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment