Monday, October 20, 2014

BUCKET LIST UPDATE No. 178: Have an article published in “The Historical News”

“The Historical News” is a free, historically-themed tabloid newspaper that’s published by Southern Historical News, Inc. of Hiram, Ga. This publication has been around for as long as I can remember, and I recall the days when my mother used to bring copies of it home for me when I was a kid.

Then, just as today, “The Historical News” contained short articles about the area’s history. Usually, the editions that were distributed in the area where we lived included articles regarding the history of Monroe, Baldwin, Clarke, Conecuh, Escambia and Mobile counties in Alabama.

I’ve wanted to have an article published in “The Historical News” for some time, and I even put it on my “bucket list” last year. Imagine my surprise last Thursday when I picked up a copy of the October 2014 edition and found that they’d published an article that I mailed them over a year ago.

In late August 2013, I mailed the editors at “The Historical News” a copy of an article about the “Mystery Stones of Pine Orchard” that I wrote when I worked as a reporter at The Monroe Journal newspaper. The article was originally published in the Jan. 13, 2005 edition of The Journal and it was later printed in Strange Alabama magazine. Along with my submission to “The Historical News,” I included a cover letter introducing myself and a business card so they could contact me if they had any questions (or if they wanted me to e-mail then the long article so that they wouldn’t have to retype it).

Months and months past, I never heard back from them, so I figured they’d rejected the story either because it was too long or because of the unusual subject matter. Several editions of “The Historical News” were also published during the past year, and I was disappointed to see that none of those issues contained my story. However, last Thursday I picked up the latest edition of “The Historical News” and was surprised to see my “Mystery Stones” story published on Pages 12-13.

I was somewhat disappointed that they didn’t give me credit for the story and accompanying photograph. For some reason, they didn’t include my byline or photo credit, but I have no doubt that it’s the same story, a word-for-word reprint of the original article that appeared in The Journal in 2005. Several writers received bylines elsewhere in the paper, so I’m not sure why they didn’t include mine. Maybe they didn't have space for it or maybe these other writers are frequent contributors that they are more familiar with.

With that said, I’ll probably send “The Historical News” a few more stories now that I know they’ll print them and it's not wasted effort. I’m sure they receive a ton of material throughout the year, but maybe next time they’ll have room to include my byline.


In the end, how many of you are fans of “The Historical News”? How long have you been reading it? What’s your favorite article or subject from “The Historical News”?

No comments:

Post a Comment