Sunday, November 9, 2014

George Singleton tells of his 'most frightening experience' in 1994 column

(For decades, local historian and paranormal investigator George “Buster” Singleton published a weekly newspaper column called “Somewhere in Time.” The column below, which was titled “Scariest experience was in ancient Aztec temple,” was originally published in the Oct. 20, 1994 edition of The Monroe Journal in Monroeville, Ala.)

With the coming of Halloween and the time for ghostly tales, which much talk is hinged on the happenings of the supernatural, many experiences come to mind.

As most of my readers know, I have had an avid interest in the supernatural since early childhood. Many are the times, as a small child, I sat wide-eyed and spellbound as my darling grandmother relayed ghost stories from the past as we sat around a warm, cozy fireplace on those chilly winter evenings.

I have been asked on numerous occasions by various people about what my most frightening experience was. When I answer that I have had several such experiences, they want to know which was the most hair-raising. So, since the time of Halloween is fast approaching, I have been asked to share my most eye-popping, feet-tingling experience with you, my readers.

Shortly after the close of the Korean War, upon my return from the U.S. Marines, I decided that I needed some time to get my thoughts together and do a bit of reassessing myself. So, I mounted my newly purchased Harley Davidson motorcycle and headed toward the state of Oregon.

South of the border

After a short stay with my older brother, who lives near Portland, I ventured back down into the state of California. Deciding that I needed to see some of old Mexico, I headed south of the border. I secured a room in an old hotel on the outskirts of Mexico City and began to wander around the area looking for something exciting that I might be a part of.

Each morning I would ride around the countryside looking at the sights and the people who lived in the area. Then one morning I came, by chance, upon the ruins of an old Aztec temple. The temple was in a bad state of repair; the high wall around the ancient temple had fallen in many places, and the old temple yards were grown over with tall weeds and heavy underbrush.

The thick heavy underbrush had grown through the cracks in the ancient stone courtyard. Parking my transportation, I ventured forth into this place of mystery. As I walked around on the ancient, crude rock floors, the echoes of my footsteps ricocheted off the heavy stone walls almost as though someone was hitting the stone floors with a hammer. Even in the broad daylight, the shadowy and faded light around the temple walls caused the hair on my neck to tingle and stand at attention.

The owners of the old Del Sol hotel were both very nice people. Both the owner and his wife could speak fairly good English. I talked at length with them about the stories they relayed to me about the ancient Aztec temple.

Certain amount of danger

I mentioned about going there and spending the night, to see if any of the stories they had told me were true; I wanted to see for myself. Each advised me against going there during the hours of darkness, saying that there might be a certain amount of danger within the walls of the ancient temple.

They informed me that several had gone there with these same intentions, to spend the night to see and hear if the stories were true about these spirits from another time. Each had returned, almost frightened out of their minds, relaying stories of hearing horrible sounds and seeing human bodies being strapped to the huge white marble sacrificial altar.

Returning to the ancient temple during the daylight hours, I wanted to familiarize myself as much as possible with the area in which I was going to spend some time during the hours of darkness. As I entered the very large room where the huge marble sacrificial altar was located, it seemed as if I could hear the faint sounds of a distant drumbeat.

The altar was about 20 feet high with steps on two sides leading up to the huge white marble slab on which those selected victims of another time had been put to death. The white marble was stained heavily with the blood of those who had been sacrificed here hundreds of years before. As I stood there beside the altar, a feeling that I have never experienced before or since came over me.

Altar room

The ceiling in the very large altar room was almost 80 feet above the floor. The sounds of the air currents circulating across the huge open area created a sound that I could never describe. But determined to go through with my plans, I returned to the old hotel to prepare for a night in the huge altar room of the ancient Aztec temple.

As I traveled the 18 miles back to the hotel, little did I know that the owners of the hotel had recruited one of the hotel workers to accompany me on my venture. An old man known by the name of Barbaree, who I thought to be about 60 years of age, was to be my companion that night in the ancient temple. He had volunteered to go since he had been in the temple at night before as a boy, and he also wanted to ride the distance to the temple and back with me on my motorcycle. I was to find out later that this was to be his first ride on a motorcycle.

The evening shadows had begun to gather around the Del Sol hotel as Barbaree and I mounted my Harley and headed out into the open country. Near the old temple wall, we dismounted and made our way into the large room where the ancient marble sacrificial altar stood. Selecting a spot about 30 feet from the base of the altar, we settled down to wait.

Increase in volume

The winds in the high stone ceiling gave off sounds that seemed to come from another world, as we sat there huddled against the cold, rough stone pillars. My partner and I had been in the temple for about two hours as the noises seemed to increase in volume around the great altar room and in the tall ceilings.

Sitting close together, I could feel my companion shaking as though he was very cold or frightened. Then, without warning, out of the darkness, a shrill scream pierced the stillness at the top of the sacrificial altar. Looking up toward the blood-stained marble slab, I saw the dim figure of what I thought to be a woman dressed in a long gown being held down on altar by two men dressed in long robes.

A third man or priest stood above her with a long knife pointed at her heart. Again the scream echoed across the ancient room and up in the high ceilings. Struggling to get my breath, I looked again toward the altar. Down came the large knife, the blade disappearing in the chest of the woman.

The shadowy figure with the knife seemed to be cutting something out of the woman’s chest. Then he got to his feet, holding something about the size of a grapefruit in his right hand high above his head. Dark drops of what appeared to be blood fell from the object in the shadowy robe-clad figure’s hand.

Loud, chanting voices

What appeared to be loud, chanting voices and hands clapping all around us pierced the shadows in the huge room. The sound of heavy drumbeats seemed to push the loud chanting up into the tall ceilings. This went on for what seemed to be a couple of minutes.

The faint light around the marble altar had begun to fade as the shadowy figures around the marble slab disappeared from sight as though they had never existed. Quietness settled throughout the massive altar room; nothing moved except two men, who, frightened almost out of their wits, were trying to make their way to the outer wall where there transportation awaited.

No one at the hotel Del Sol mentioned or asked any questions as to what we had witnessed that night in the ancient temple ruins. Perhaps they already knew.

I was glad because many weeks were to pass before the memories of that frightful night allowed me a fair night’s sleep – a night free from hair-raising nightmares of that night in an ancient Aztec temple south of the border.

(Singleton, the author of the 1991 book “Of Foxfire and Phantom Soldiers,” passed away at the age of 79 on July 19, 2007. A longtime resident of Monroeville, he was born on Dec. 14, 1927 in Marengo County and served as the administrator of the Monroeville National Guard unit from 1964 to 1987. He is buried in Pineville Cemetery in Monroeville. The column above and all of Singleton’s other columns are available to the public through the microfilm records at the Monroe County Public Library in Monroeville. Singleton’s columns are presented here each week for research and scholarship purposes and as part of an effort to keep his work and memory alive.)

No comments:

Post a Comment