Sunday, September 3, 2017

Singleton tells of viewing June 2002 thunderstorm near Franklin, Ala.

'Rock of Ages' writer Augustus Toplady
(For decades, local historian and paranormal investigator George “Buster” Singleton published a weekly newspaper column called “Somewhere in Time.” The column below, which was titled “Viewing the miracle of a thunderstorm” was originally published in the June 27, 2002 edition of The Monroe Journal in Monroeville, Ala.)

As each day comes and goes, I become more and more disturbed by our total disregard about our place in our environment. We have rushed head-on into the scales of Nature’s balance and have scattered everything to the four winds as an angry child might scatter its toys. Very little is mentioned any more about the beautiful sightings of a special sunset or an afternoon on a quiet and peaceful hillside, watching the clouds gather of an approaching thunderstorm.

Some of my readers might think me a little odd when I state that I had rather watch the clouds of a coming storm gather on the horizon than to see any sports event that one might conjure up. Wednesday, the 19th of June, I happened to be atop a high hill north of here, near the community of Franklin. As I looked to the northwest, I saw what I thought was the beginning of a glorious spectacle.

Getting out of my vehicle, I watched in awe as the rolling clouds in the western skies began to unleash their fury upon the countryside with strong winds and the promise of lashing rains. During the next 40 or so minutes, I would witness a beautiful and breathtaking display of a portion of the Creator’s magnitude and power.

Standing there atop the steep hill, I watched as the storm clouds gathered to form a display of power that would dazzle the human mind. I was beginning to witness a small portion of the awesome power that the Almighty has at His fingertips. And, I saw too, just how fragile man was when in the presence of this great power.

As I faced the western skies and watched the storm clouds as they hurried ever eastward, I was reminded of great war chariots of another time, hurrying to form a mighty battle line that reached from horizon to horizon.

I watched in amazement as the mighty winds whipped the heavy clouds into a rolling mass, as though the great chariots of war had begun their mighty charge. I watched as the rushing winds curled the ends of the mass of clouds, as though they were the stragglers of the advancing army. I listened to the magnitude of the rolling thunder as it swept across the hills like the sound of 10,000 hoofs of hundreds of charging horses. And, I watched as the world around me bowed as though about to be conquered, beneath the awesome and breathtaking display of the Creator’s power.

Onward and nearer charged the chariots of clouds, bringing with them a huge reservoir of water that would soon pour across the land in millions and millions of huge cold drops. And, the rushing winds that raced before the approaching rains, bending the trees and brush, as though telling the whole world to run and hide, to seek shelter and protection from the mass of chariots and racing war horses.

As I stood there atop the high hill and watched the masses of limitless energy take shape across the horizon, I thought how helpless I must have looked to the Almighty from His place in the clouds. Here I stood, like a grain of sand beside the mighty ocean, totally helpless against the forces before me.

And, I thought of man as a whole, and how weak and fragile he was in his small place within the universe. I thought of his helplessness when he was foolish enough to try and match wits with the Almighty. And, I realized once again, that my survival as well as everyone else’s is totally hopeless if one chose to try to make it through this life without the guidance of the One from above.

As I braced myself against the rushing winds, I quickly made my way to the safety of my vehicle. Safely within the security of my vehicle, the beating and pounding rain pelted the cab of my truck as though trying to reach in and drag me out into the wind and turmoil of the storm. Sitting there listening to the storm outside, I thought of a songwriter in ages past, and how he must have felt when he wrote the famous lyrics, “Rock of Ages, cleft for me, let me hide myself in thee.” I knew that he, too, realized how fragile man was as he sought shelter from a terrible storm such as this one, among the huge boulders on a steep mountainside many years ago.

Sitting there in the security and quietness of my vehicle, a feeling of peace came over me, and as the rain and thunderstorm began to subside, I knew that all was well as the war chariots above passed onward toward the east. Starting the engine of my vehicle, I made my way back toward Highway 41. As I pulled onto the security of the pavement, I realized that I was humming the most beautiful hymn, “Amazing Grace.” Nothing could have been more appropriate for what I had just witnessed.


(Singleton, the author of the 1991 book “Of Foxfire and Phantom Soldiers,” passed away at the age of 79 on July 19, 2007. A longtime resident of Monroeville, he was born during a late-night thunderstorm on Dec. 14, 1927 in Marengo County, graduated from Sweet Water High School in 1946, served in the Korean War, lived for a time among Apache Indians, moved to Monroe County on June 28, 1964 and served as the administrator of the Monroeville National Guard unit from 1964 to 1987. For years, Singleton’s column “Somewhere in Time” appeared in The Monroe Journal, and he wrote a lengthy series of articles about Monroe County that appeared in Alabama Life magazine. Some of his earlier columns also appeared under the heading of “Monroe County History: Did You Know?” He is buried in Pineville Cemetery in Monroeville. The column above and all of Singleton’s other columns are available to the public through the microfilm records at the Monroe County Public Library in Monroeville. Singleton’s columns are presented here each week for research and scholarship purposes and as part of an effort to keep his work and memory alive.)

No comments:

Post a Comment