Thursday, February 8, 2018

Tickets for Opening Day game in Atlanta can be bought for as low as $12 - hint, hint

Boston Red Sox fan Stephen King.
Much like the annual appearance of that famous groundhog in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania, another sure sign of the approaching spring made its appearance earlier this week when the first of our local schools released its baseball schedule.

While Hillcrest is still in full-on basketball mode, Sparta has moved on into the baseball season. While we’ve still got a little cool weather left on the calendar, warmer days aren’t that far off and we’ll be talking about spring football practice before too much longer.

Braves pitchers and catchers are scheduled to report to spring training this coming Tuesday, and position players will report for duty on the following Sunday. The first full-team practice will come to pass on the next day, Mon., Feb. 19.

During Spring Training, the Braves compete in what’s known as the Grapefruit League, and this year, they’ll play 30 spring training games between Feb. 23 and March 25. Eighteen of those games will be at their “home field” of Champion Stadium in Orlando. Their first official spring training game will be against the Mets on Feb. 23 at First Data Field in Port St. Lucie.

I’ve never been to a Major League spring training game, but I’ve had it on my “bucket list” for a while. I’ve heard that these games are pretty laid back, and it’s common for celebrities to pop in for a game. For example, Stephen King, who has a summer home in Florida, is a huge Red Sox fan, and he’s commonly seen at spring training games.

Opening Day for the Braves will be on Thurs., March 29, when they will play the division rival Philadelphia Phillies at SunTrust Park in Atlanta. That game will get going at 3:10 p.m. our time, and when I checked on Monday tickets for that game were still available for as low as $12 each. If any of you run into my wife on the street, let her know that’s what I want for my birthday.

----- 0 -----

Last Thursday afternoon, I received a pleasant surprise when local teacher John Lott stopped by the newspaper office to let me know that he would be coaching Hillcrest’s softball team this year. I’ve known John for about as long as I can remember, and I’m sure he will do a fine job as the softball coach at Hillcrest.

John and I both grew up in Frisco City and went to elementary and high school there. John was a little younger than me, and finished high school three or four years after I did. John, who was in the same class with my brother, was an outstanding athlete in school, and I remember him being a standout in football and baseball.


John is also a highly educated man, and I’m sure he is an outstanding teacher. He was known for making good grades in school and went on to graduate from seminary school. In fact, in and around Monroe County, he is probably known nowadays for his service as a local minister.

No comments:

Post a Comment